Calico was founded in 1999 and our name derives from the fabric produced by the textile industry that was a definitive part of East Lancashire’s economic heritage. We came into being following the stock transfer of 5,000 homes from Burnley Borough Council. While housing provision remains a large part of our Group’s business we have greatly diversified our service offering. This has supported business growth, which in turns strengthens our capacity to invest in our services and in our people, and continue to improve how we can support our customers.
We measure our success in social profit, rather than financial. By this we mean the positive difference we make to people’s lives, across all the communities in which we work. And we set out to achieve this by delivering five cross-company strategic aims:
- to be customer-led in delivering excellent services;
- to create social profit for the areas where we work;
- to provide value for money in everything we do;
- to secure and deliver new business opportunities and partnerships;
- to realise people’s full potential.
Our headquarters are located in Centenary Court in Burnley, but our footprint has expanded across the north-west of England as we have expanded our service offering. The Group now employs around 600 individuals across the business, including 54 apprentices, and are very proud to have been recognised as one of The Sunday Times’ 100 Best Employers to Work for in the UK – a real testament to our commitment to supporting our staff and creating a workplace environment that helps our staff achieve their potential.
Living our values is central to how we work at Calico. They shape how we work with our customers and how we work with one another. All of our staff commit to:
- going one step further with our customers;
- improving and strengthening ourselves and our organisation;
- caring about our wellbeing as individuals and teams.